MANILA, Philippines – The House of Representatives, which claims to be working as a constituent assembly, has approved on third and final reading its draft federal charter.
The final vote came down to 224 voting for the bill, 22 objections and 3 abstentions.
The total vote for the measure represents more than three-fourths of the full membership of the House of Representatives. The House has taken the position under Speaker Gloria Arroyo that House members and senators vote separately in a constituent assembly.
The approved Federal Draft have inserted these self-serving provisions:
- Members of Congress and local officials will have 4 year terms and there is no limit to the number of times they can be reelected(Unlimited reelection). Only the President and the Vice President will be limited to a 4-year term with one reelection. The two officials will be elected as a team.
2. The ban on political dynasties is removed.
- It requires a two-thirds vote of all members of Congress, voting separately to amend or revise the 1987 Constitution.
- It mandates that the form and structure of the government shall be that of a presidential-bicameral-federal system.
- Lawless violence shall be a ground for the declaration of martial law when public safety requires it.
- The House Speaker, not the Senate President, shall be the ex-officio chairperson of the Commission on Appointments. Members of Congress maybe removed from office through recall as maybe provided by law.
- The President, Vice-President, senators and House members are required to be college graduates before they can be elected, unless they have been elected to those positions under the previous constitution.