MANILA, Philippines — At least four Chinese nationals convicted of drug charges were released from the New Bilibid Prison in June this year, Sen. Panfilo Lacson said Thursday.
The four Chinese nationals were released from Building 14 of Bilibid’s Maximum Security Compound in June, based on the information acquired by Lacson.
“Actually, they were released to the custody of the Bureau of Immigration for the possible deportation,” Lacson said.
He added: “All these Chinese drug lords had been convicted for violation of illegal drug laws.”
Lacson did not say if the four Chinese nationals were released because of the controversial Republic Act 10952 or the Good Conduct Time Allowance Law.
Release order for Sanchez
Lacson also said he asked for the reportedly issued release order of former Calauan, Laguna mayor and rape-slay convict Antonio Sanchez.
“We’re trying to look for the copy of the August 20 release order in favor of Mayor Sanchez. But apparently, the copy is missing,” he said.
The family of Sanchez on Tuesday claimed that an unnamed person told the family that a release order for the former mayor dated August 20 was ready.
Justice chief Menardo Guevarra said he has not received any information about the rumored release of Sanchez and has been told that Bureau of Corrections head Nicanor Faledon denies having signed a release order for the convicted rapist and killer.
The Senate is set to conduct an inquiry into the GCTA law following the reported eligibility of Sanchez to the program.
“One of the objectives of the hearing is not just to review the provisions in the Revised Penal code and the definition of GCTA but also to hold [those responsible] accountable,” Lacson said.